* According to WV Code §18-8-1, compulsory school attendance laws apply until a student’s seventeenth birthday as long as the student is enrolled in school.
* The Jefferson County Schools attendance policy revised by the Jefferson County BOE beginning school year 2011 allows a student to be absent from school due to illness five days per semester provided the parent has verified this illness in writing upon the student’s return to school.
* Any student absence for illness beyond five days during a semester must be confirmed by a physician’s document in order for the absence to be excused. Otherwise, absences beyond five will be considered unexcused.
WV Code §18-8-1 requires the parent/guardian to report to school for a conference with the administrator when the student has reached 5 unexcused absences during the school year. Furthermore, continued unexcused absences shall be considered truancy and shall be punishable in a court of law.
* When a student has been absent, the parent or guardian is required to provide written communication upon the student’s return to school verifying the reason for the absence. Phone calls are not an acceptable means of communication.
Being tardy to school is defined as any student arriving at school after the designated time for school to begin. Continued tardiness to school that is not due to a medical reason verified by a physician will result in consequences according to the rules and procedures of each school.
*All medical and dental appointments which cause a student to be absent or tardy must be verified by a dentist/physician’s written document in order for the absence or tardy to be considered as excused. Any student with a chronic physical or mental condition which requires a student to be absent for multiple days must provide a physician’s document annually to the school which explains the condition and its impact on attendance. This document will be reviewed by school officials.
*Absences that are considered excused absences from school as long as written documentation has been provided:
- Illness verified by parent not to exceed 5 days per semester
- Medical/dental appointments verified with a written document by the physician/dentist
- Illness/injury verified in writing by a physician
- Family calamity
- Death in the family not to exceed 3 days
- Leave of educational value approved by school administration
- School approved extracurricular activity
- Observance of religious holiday
- Legal obligation with verification
You may download the full Policy Manual reference to Attendance